Volunteer with the Archives
Our volunteers are a diverse and talented group who enjoy sharing their experience and knowledge, and who wish to help preserve and promote Alberta's heritage for future generations.
All our volunteers work with trained Archivists or Conservators and are matched with projects according to their interests, skills and availability, which include:
- Translating second language records
- Inventorying, indexing and categorizing records
- Rehousing archival materials
- Assisting with public programs, including special events, lectures and tours
- Preparing transcriptions of documentary material (letters, diaries)
Volunteer positions are available Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm and the commitment is three hours/week for a minimum of four months.
Through its volunteer program, the Provincial Archives of Alberta offers those interested in preserving and promoting the history and culture of Alberta an opportunity to help the Archives further its mandate to:
- Preserve the collective memory of the province
- Contribute to the protection of Albertans' rights and our sense of Alberta's identity
- Facilitate access to original source documents
- Help the public discover what makes Alberta's history unique
The Provincial Archives of Alberta volunteer program is not accepting new volunteers at this time. However, you can still complete a volunteer application. We will keep your application on file and contact you when more opportunities become available.
For more information regarding the Provincial Archives of Alberta volunteer program, please contact:
Phone: (780) 427-0356
Fax: (780) 427-4646
"As a volunteer at the Archives, I've had the chance to learn a lot of Alberta history. The staff are very friendly so volunteers feel welcome and appreciated as part of the Archives' team."
"I have volunteered at the Provincial Archives of Alberta since 1989 and have thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to learn about Alberta history, about Archives and to assist the caring PAA staff whose job it is to preserve and make accessible Alberta heritage."