Judicial District of Red Deer
The Collections Management Section is pleased to announce that the records of the Judicial District of Red Deer sous-fonds (GR0023.017SF) have been described to the subseries level and are now available on HeRMIS.
The origins of this district date back to 1907, when the Government of Alberta appointed a clerk and a sheriff in Red Deer to act as a local registry for the Judicial District of Wetaskiwin. Essentially, the Red Deer registry acted as a sub-district of the Judicial District of Wetaskiwin without actually being designated as such. The independent Judicial District of Red Deer was established when the province revised its judicial districts in 1914, and, with some minor territorial changes over time, this judicial district continues to the present day.
The sous-fonds consists of approximately 220 linear metres of records including civil, criminal, divorce, and probate cases that took place in Red Deer and area between 1907 and 1979. The sous-fonds also includes the records of the Sheriff and Clerk of the Judicial District of Red Deer as well as case files from 1930-1952 of Graham & Stewart, a Red Deer law firm. The court case files are rich sources of social and family history that may contain statements of claim about disputed events, information pertaining to criminal complaints and their disposition, wills of deceased individuals, divorces, and, in some cases, verbatim transcripts of preliminary hearings and trials. The sous-fonds also contains records pertaining to the registration of chattel mortgages, liens, and other documents from 1907 to 1967 as part of the judicial district’s registration function.