Preparing for your visit:
As we re-open the Provincial Archives of Alberta (PAA) to the public, we ask you to work together with us to keep the Archives a safe space for yourself, for all visitors and for our staff. Please read below for further details on what to expect when you visit.
The PAA encourages researchers to access our services virtually. Staff are available to answer queries and provide research assistance online or by phone.
- General Inquiries: 780-427-1750
- Sandra Thomson Reading Room: 780-427-1056
- Email: PAA@gov.ab.ca
- Toll Free Dialing: First dial 310-0000, then the full ten-digit phone number of the office you wish to reach.
What we are doing to keep you safe:
- Limiting visitor numbers (maximum occupancy of ten visitors at a time):
- Maximum six researchers at a time in the Reading Room.
- Maximum two visitors at a time in the Archives Store.
- Maximum two visitors at a time in the foyer exhibit.
- Timed appointments for the Reading Room and Archives Store to allow for capacity control and no-contact purchasing.
- Encouraging physical distancing with signage and spacing ‘dots’.
- Providing physical barriers such as Plexiglass shields in customer service areas.
- Providing substantial access to hand sanitizer and hand washing facilities.
- Increasing cleaning and disinfecting throughout our facility.
What we are asking of our visitors:
- Stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Book your appointment before you head to the PAA.
- Access to the Reading Room is by appointment only. Drop-in visits cannot be accommodated.
- Visiting the Archives Store requires an appointment. If you arrive without an appointment, you will only be admitted if space is available, or you will need to arrange an appointment for a future time slot.
- Effective August 1, 2020 face coverings must be worn at all times while in indoor public spaces under City of Edmonton bylaw 19408. Visitors are required to wear a face mask inside the Provincial Archives of Alberta. Please visit the City of Edmonton website for details. Note that the PAA will not be providing masks to visitors.
- Practice good hygiene. This includes washing your hands, for at least 20 seconds, regularly during your visit, avoiding touching your face, and coughing or sneezing into your elbow.
- Download and utilize the ABTraceTogether app.
How do I make an appointment to visit the PAA Reading Room or the Archives Store?
You will need to make an appointment in advance. Please call 780-427-1750 or contact us at PAA@gov.ab.ca to make an appointment.
- The PAA Reading Room is open by appointment only and the number of researchers allowed into the Reading Room at any time is limited. Some self-serve research resources like finding aids and reference photographs are not available at this time.
- Our Archives Store and foyer exhibit are open, with restrictions on two visitors in each area at any time to support physical distancing.
- The Provincial Archives of Alberta sells archival and museum quality preservation supplies and storage containers through the online Archives Store https://provincialarchives.alberta.ca/shop
- The client lounge is closed to limit visitor contact.
- We are not offering facility tours, public programs, or group visits at this time.
- High-touch amenities are not available. This includes vending machines.
Our goal is to make your visit to the Provincial Archives of Alberta comfortable and safe. We hope you will enjoy being back at the PAA and discovering a piece of Alberta’s past.
The safety of all visitors and staff is our top priority. We are closely monitoring the situation and will determine if additional precautions are needed.
We ask that everyone continue to follow alberta.ca/covid19 for the latest information on this situation.