Vital Statistics and Holiday Season Notice:
- The Provincial Archives of Alberta’s Sandra Thomson Reading Room will be closed for the holiday season from Monday, December 21, 2020 to Monday, January 4, 2021 inclusive.
- Vital Statistics records may continue to be requested using the online service throughout the holiday season.
- Vital Statistics services will resume on Monday, January 4, 2021. As such, a slight delay beyond the normal turnaround time might be experienced.
To improve historical Vital Statistics access and service, all Vital Statistics requests and payments are now made through our online payment system.
The How to Order Historical Vital Statistics guide can help you do this.
Multiple vital statistics may be included in one order; please refer to the Quick Guide to Multiple Requests for help.
Birth registrations from 1870-1900 are available at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
Vital statistic indexes are yearly summaries of vital events that contain basic information such as name, location, year, and registration number. The indexes are used to locate registrations.
Birth indexes are organized alphabetically by surname and then by year.
Please note you are searching the indexes for a registration number rather than the registration records themselves.
How to Locate and Request Birth Registrations
From the links listed below, follow these steps to locate a registration number:
- Select the first letter of the surname.
- Scroll through the index to find the year the person was born in order to locate their name and registration number.
- Request and pay for your Vital Statistics record by completing a Vital Statistics Request
Contact a registry agent to request birth registrations that are less than 120 years old